Laser applications in industry
Metal marking allows this type of material to be engraved with a range of alphanumeric prints, including images, to identify a variety of mass-produced items and pieces. We at Couth are very familiar with this due to being specialists in various types of industrial marking and our advanced technology allows us to obtain the best results.
There are a range of methods for metal marking in the sector that represent an essential part the production process as they optimise the management of resources and parts, enabling their traceability and control from production to delivery to distributors and customers.
There are different types and techniques for metal marking on an industrial scale, whose features and benefits make them the most or least suitable according to the selected material. This post will talk more about what these are.
Types of metal marking and engraving
Below are the different types of metal engraving and marking.
1. Electrochemical engraving and marking
This type of metal marking is ideal on conductive metal surfaces using an electric current and gentle electrolytic fluids.
It involves releasing a slight current on the metal surface using a marking stencil or stencil impregnated with the electrolyte fluid using a marking head.
This type of metal marking is very flexible, and its equipment is affordable, it can be applied in a range of environments and operating systems. Worth mentioning is how it provides great efficiency on stainless steel surfaces, material frequently used in industry, due to its qualities and strength.
Electrochemical metal marking undoubtedly provides effective and fast results.
2. Laser engraving and marking
This is a very useful metal marking method for industrial and high production processes.
Fibre laser marking and engraving can be used on different materials, particularly metallic ones such as stainless steel, iron, aluminium, brass, copper, etc. and c also be applied to certain plastics, leather, glass, ceramics, etc.
It is a chemical process that uses marking material that will be fused onto the metal surface using laser.
Laser metal marking can take place with alphanumeric characters, QR codes, datamatrix codes, images, etc., providing the identification of each piece produced, as well as its efficient traceability throughout its life cycle.
Metal marking offers a range of benefits, including:
- High quality results with precision and high readability using artificial vision systems and a must for any industrial traceability system.
- Silent and fast marking process.
- Flexible and adaptable method to the highest demands, where complicated shapes, complex surfaces or different heights do not represent any obstacle for obtaining the best results in the process.
- Laser metal marking allows you to customise your content and even add colour to it.
- Permanent and guaranteed results.
- This offers the option of identifying and controlling security actions in order to be able to distinguish between articles and parts and counterfeits, as well as for to check and verify sensitive documents such as credit cards, identification cards, etc.
Due to its notable advantages and excellent quality, laser metal marking has been implemented by a range of industries during their production processes, including the automotive sector, banking, government agencies, aeronautics, security, steel, related industries. with robotics and 3D printing.
Worthy of mention is nanosecond laser marking and engraving, a process that offers high quality and adaptability for various mould etching on a wide variety of surfaces.
There is also femtosecond laser engraving, which is ideal for delicate and complex work that is very small in size and requires a great deal of precision.
The industrial marking and engraving for laser metals is, however, generally obtained very quickly, which allows for mass production. It can also be performed on all types of metals and technical plastics.
3. Micropercussion marking and engraving
Micropercussion metal marking is another type of industrial engraving that enables a high degree of efficiency and productivity.
It is obtained through the action of an oscillating marking tip applied on the metal surface, where the information will be engraved through symbols, logos, alphanumeric characters, codes, texts, dates, etc., without affecting the material.
Micropercussion marking and engraving represents one of the most widely used industrial marking methods in sectors such as aeronautics, automotive, steel industry, railway, power generation, profiles, etc.
It is mainly applied in manufacturing processes involving metal parts, particularly steel. Micropercussion marking allows for deep marking on metal surfaces, alloys and high hardness plastics.
Benefits o its application include:
- Deep marking that can be adjustable, according to each material.
- It can be applied on parts with a range of shapes, such as cylindrical or flat.
- It does not require any consumer material, as the only wear is on the marking tip.
- It does not require any maintenance operations.
- It is very useful for the marking and engraving of machined parts, aeronautical components, automotive, to name a few.
4. Scratch industrial engraving
Scratch engraving is a type of metal marking that is obtained silently by applying a diamond or carbide tip, applying pneumatic pressure on the surface of a particular part, sliding across until the precision and depth necessary for engraving is obtained, guaranteeing the direct marking of characters, logos or QR codes.
It allows a solid high-quality design with sharp and continuous strokes to be obtained on metallic formats, alloys and hard plastics.
Its benefits include:
- Low noise level.
- Efficiency and speed.
- Its technique allows a sharp marking on the surface.
- Low maintenance costs.
- Robust design that offers a high degree of strength.
5. CNC industrial engraving
This is a numerically controlled metal marking method, which requires CNC machines to manage the process from a computerised system.
This metal marking type allows efficient and fast high-quality results to be obtained, which are very suitable for mass production processes, reducing labour needs and costs.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you are looking for efficient and accessible metal engraving and marking equipment. We at Couth are happy to answer any questions or advise you for everything you require.